Si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more; Si fueris alibi, vivito sicut ibi.
. . . . . . . . .

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On First Looking Into Rome



My very first real experience with Rome took place at the Fumicino aeroport. I and the other students who were on the group flight waited for about an hour and a half to gather our luggage, then to discover that there were still a few unfortunate souls, namely Jacob and Patsy, whose luggage had not been found (luckily I was not one of them!). By this time, the majority of the students had left to catch the bus headed to the Due Santi campus, and so about eight of us were left. We made our way to one of the customer service desks and waited in line for a few minutes. The woman at the counter directed us to the next desk: that was where we could get this information sorted out. After proceeding to this counter and waiting for about fifteen minutes, we were sent again to another counter. This was finally the correct one, and following a long process of paperwork, Jacob and Patsy announced to their chagrin that the luggage was still in Washington D.C. and would be sent along presently. Having gotten that beastly business sorted out, we proceeded through customs extraordinarily quickly as the customs gentleman was preoccupied with a traveler who attempted to go through with what appeared to be an absurdly large umbrella (there was plenty of gesturing and loud cries of “che cosa, che cosa!?”). Dr. Hatlie, first a History professor and now the Dean in Rome, picked us up and drove us to campus, telling us a little about what we saw as we passed along the outskirts of Rome.

Arriving on Campus:

I could not believe it as Dr. Hatlie pulled into the campus driveway and we scrambled out onto the walk. It is utterly magnificent. I didn't expect the gloriousness of it I suppose, and to see sprawling vineyards, a forno, olive trees, and beautiful dorms just is overwhelming...what more could a student ask for? The entire place lends itself to your pursuit of learning and stimulates your enthusiasm for just living. My roommate freshman year at UD, Jessica, asked me before I left for Rome what I was most looking forward to. It took me a little to think about it, but then it hit me: I'm most excited about being there. Not merely physically living there, but truly existing there and living life to the fullest. A semester in Rome is such a great gift to be have the opportunity to do. I mean, you're in ROME! The history is so amazing, the culture so rich, everything so beautiful. WOW.

1 comment: